- On 5 August 2016
- In Athens - Santorini 3 Days
Athens – Santorini 3 Days
Starting bright and early we will pick you up from your hotel in Athens at 06:00 a.m. Our destination the port of Piraeus and your ferry (travelling with Blue Star Ferries) which departs at 07:30 for Santorini. There are no words to discribe the experience of sailing through immence blue of the Aegean and enjoying the visual backdrops of the Cyclades. Arriving at Santorini at 15:00 you will be met and driven directly to your hotel. After settling in and resting up we will carry you off for the Sunset Half Day Tour. Santorini is famous for its sunset, which is counted as one of the most beautiful in the world. Apart from Oia which has become synonymous with sunset you will also be visiting Profitis Ilias, Pyrgos Village and the Santo Wines Winery. Then we will return you to your hotel for the night.
After having breakfast you will be picked up from your hotel for the Acrotiri Half Day Tour.
This consists of the amazing Acrotiri Excavation site, the Red Beach, Firostefani Village and Oia. Yes this will be your second trip to Oia but as you found out yesterday visiting Oia once is never enough. Returning you to your hotel you will have the rest of the afternoon is free to explore the island on your own before overnighting.
This next morning will be free for your leisure (after a night on the town most of our guests need it). Then early in the afternoon we will arrive to drive you to the port. Your departure will be at 15:30 with Blue Star Ferries, arriving in Piraeus at 23:25. Back at the port of Piraeus we will be ready and waiting to drive you to your hotel in Athens or to the Airport if you wish.
Transfers and Tours:
Transfer Hotel in Athens – Piraeus Port
Transfer Santorini Port – Hotel in Santorini
Half Day Tour Sunset
Half Day Tour Acrotiri
Transfer Hotel in Santorini – Santorini Port
Transfer Piraeus Port – Hotel in Athens or Airport
According to searches and excavations on Santorini, the first human presence on the island dates back to the Neolithic Period. Santorini hosted an important civilization around 3600 BCE. Discoveries made in an important city near Akrotiri and the famous Red Beach show the existence of an ancient Minoan colony. The city was very similar to those found in the island of Crete, with many wall ornaments and pottery showing naturalistic landscapes of animals and humans of the same ancient Minoan style. In ancient times, Santorini Island was known as Stongili, which means round in Greek. Strongili was the victim of an enormous volcanic eruption in 1,500 BCE.
The eruption was so huge that many consider it to be the main cause of the destruction of the great Minoan civilization on the island of Crete, situated 70 nautical miles away. Specialists believe that the explosion was so great that it created gigantic waves that reached the shores of the surrounding islands and Crete. After the explosion, the centre of Santorini sank, and the many earthquakes that followed destroyed a big part of the rest of the island. Many studies and research have been presented about the volcano of Santorini, including a series of documentaries by National Geographic. In some ancient myths, the destruction of the island is closely associated to the legend of Atlantis. According to history, Phoenicians settled on ancient Thera around 1,300 BCE and stayed for five generations.
Then, around 1100 BCE, the island was occupied by the Lacedaemonians. Around 825 BCE, the inhabitants of the island, then named Thera, were using the Phoenician alphabet. In the 7th and 6th centuries BCE, Thera had commercial and trade relations with most of the islands and cities of Greece. During the Hellenistic Period, Thera, because of its central position in the Aegean, became an important trade centre and an important naval base, due to its strategically perfect position. Between 1200 AD and 1579 AD, the island was under Byzantine rule and the church of Episkopi Gonia was founded. In 1204 AD the island is surrendered to the Venetian Marco Sanudo and becomes part of the Duke of the Aegean. The name of the island was given by the Venetians after the Santa Irini, the name of a catholic church. During that time there is a strong battle between Venetians and pirates. During the Turkish rule (1579-1821) the island succeeds in trading development with the ports of Eastern Mediterranean. The period that follows is quite prosperous.
Due to the wars of the 20th century, Santorini’s economy declines and the inhabitants abandon the island after the catastrophic earthquake in 1956. The tourist development in Santorini begins in the 1970s and today it is one of the best tourist destinations in the world. Over the years, Santorini has also developed as a wedding and honeymoon destination, while many international meetings and conferences take place there in summer, at the Nomikos Conference Center or in luxurious hotels.
- Island hopping packages are individual tours and not group tours. They do not include flights from/to your country.
- Extend your stay on the Island – Just ask for it when you make your reservetion.
- The order of visiting the islands can be changed according to the traffic and weather conditions.
- Accommodation on the islands is based according to availability .
- Suitable clothing and athletic walking shoes are recommended for your comfort
- Hats, sun glasses and suntan lotion are highly recommended.
- Photography is permitted throughout the tour, excluding some museums.
- Clothing: When visiting Churches and Monasteries entrance will be allowed only to those with proper outfits i.e. Gentlemen (long trousers) and ladies (skirts, not short ones). These are places of worship and we pay them the respect they deserve.
- Firstly and most importantly. ALL CANCELLATIONS MUST BE CONFIRMED BY Olivesea.gr
- In respect to Island Hopping cancellations. There is NO cancellation fee (deposit or full amount) WILL be refunded. That’s right you will be fully refunded 100% the amount you have paid whether it is a deposit or the full amount , just so long as you cancel your reservation at least 30 days before your service date.
- Apart from the above cancellation limits, NO refunds will be made. If though, you fail to make your appointment for reasons that are out of your hands , that would be, in connection with the operation of your airline or cruise ship or strikes , extreme weather conditions or mechanical failure. You WILL be refunded 100% of the paid amount.
- Let it be noted that, if your cancellation date is over TWO (2) months away from your reservation date, It has been known for third party providers such as credit card companies, PayPal, ect. to charge a levy fee usually somewhere between 2-4%.
- Cost increases in currency exchange, government fees, taxes, surcharges or hotel/lodge tariff increases between quote date and start date are payable by the client.
- Availability cannot be guaranteed until booked.
- Olive sea.gr reserves the right to cancel your booking at any time, when reasons beyond our control arise, such as strikes, prevailing weather conditions, mechanical failures, etc. occur. In this unfortunate case you shall be immediately notified via the email address you used when making your reservation and your payment WILL be refunded 100%.
- Please take the time to carefully go through the individual terms and conditions for your information and protection. It is your own responsibility to ensure that you have read and understood the various terms associated with your contract in advance to placing any bookings.