Lord Byron’s Sunset (Sounio)
Lord Byron’s Sunset Sounio Private Tour – Duration 5 Hours
- Athenian Riviera
- Cape Sounion
- Poseidon’s Temple
The immense blue of the Aegean Sea and the extraordinary landscape makes Greece ideal for honeymooners but Cape Sounio has its own special atmosphere that awakens the romantic in everyone.
A place where you can share enchanted precious moments with your significant other. Your honeymoon should be more than a trip; it should be an experience of a lifetime.
We will begin by driving along the Athenian Riviera, with the Aegean piercing through you. Progressively passing the uptown suburbs (Glyfada, Voula, Vouliagmeni, Varkiza). We will stop at the picturesque peninsula of Vouliagmeni. This is the most expensive piece of land in the whole of Greece with its majestic mineral water spa-like. Its mild climate and water temperature makes it an all year round possibility. The most expensive hotel in Attica can be found here, just to explain how special this destination is.
Continuing along the dreamy coast, taking in the Aegean, the Saronic Gulf and its small islands we will deliver you to the magical Cape Sounio with its sunset that is to die for. Crowning the cape is the temple of Poseidon, the Greek god of the sea. It is surrounded by the remains of its fortifications, gateway, and houses. Close by are also the remains of Athena Souniada. This precious site will be hard to top off but you will enjoy an idyllic dinner by the sea. A true romantic can never pass up a chance to visit Sounio.
Sounio(Temple of Poseidon):
The Ancient Greeks certainly knew how to choose a site for a temple. Nowhere is this more evident than at Cape Sounion, 70km south of Athens, where the Temple of Poseidon stands on a cliff that plunges 65m down to the sea. Built-in 444 BCE – at the same time as the Parthenon – it is constructed of local marble from Agrilesa, its slender columns, of which 16 remain, are Doric. It is thought that the temple was built by Iktinos, the architect of the Temple of Hephaestus in Athens’ Ancient Agora.
It looks gleaming white when viewed from the sea, which gave great comfort to sailors in ancient times: they knew they were nearly home when they saw the first glimpse of white, far off in the distance. The views from the temple are equally impressive: on a clear day, you can see Kea, Kythnos, and Serifos to the southeast, and Aegina and the Peloponnese to the west. The site also contains scant remains of a propylaeum, a fortified tower and, to the northeast, a 6th-century temple to Athena.Visit early in the morning before the tourist buses arrive, or head there for sunset to enact Byron’s lines from Don Juan:
‘Place me on Sunium’s marbled steep
Where nothing save the waves and I
May hear our mutual murmurs sweep.’
Byron was so impressed by Sounion that he carved his name on one of the columns.
There are a couple of tavernas just below the site – perfect for lunch and a swim.
Admission Fees for Sites:
SUMMER PERIOD: 1 April – 31 October
WINTER PERIOD: 1 November – 31 March
Temple Of Poseidon:
Full : €8,00 – Reduced: € 4,00
Winter: 09:30 – Sunset
Summer: 09:00 – Sunset
- 1 January: closed
- 6 January: 08:00 – 15:00
- Shrove Monday: 08:00 – 15:00
- 25 March: closed
- Good Friday: until 12:00 – 17:00
- Holy Saturday: 08:00 – 15:00
- Easter Sunday: closed
- Easter Monday: 08:00 – 20:00
- 1 May: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08:00 – 20:00
- 15 August: 08:00 – 20:00
- 28 October: 08:00 – 15:00
- 25 December: closed
- 26 December: closed
- Escorting teachers during the visits of schools and institutions of Primary, Secondary and Tertiary education and of military schools.
- Members of Societies and Associations of Friends of Museums and Archaeological Sites throughout Greece with the demonstration of certified membership card
- Members of the ICOM-ICOMOS
- Persons possessing a free admission card
- The employees of the Hellenic Ministry of Culture and Sports and the Archaeological Receipts Fund, upon presentation of their service ID card.
- The official guests of the Greek government, with the approval of the General Director of Antiquities.
- Young people, under the age of 18, after demonstrating the Identity Card or passport to confirm the age.
Free admission days:
- 6 March (in memory of Melina Mercouri)
- 18 April (International Monuments Day)
- 18 May (International Museums Day)
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
- Every first Sunday from November 1st to March 31st
- 28 October
Reduced admission for:
- Greek citizens and citizens of other Member – States of the European Union who are over 65 years old, upon presentation of their ID card or passport for verification of their age and country of origin.
- Holders of a solidarity card
- Holders of a valid unemployment card.
- Large families’ parents of children up to 23 yrs old, or up to 25 yrs old (on military service/studying), or child with disabilities regardless the age, having a certified pass of large families, certification from the Large Family Association or a family status certificate issued by the Municipality
- Persons with disabilities (67 % or over) and one escort, upon presentation of the certification of disability issued by the Ministry of Health or a medical certification from a public hospital, where the disability and the percentage of disability are clearly stated.
- Single parent families with minors, upon presentation of a family status certificate issued by the Municipality. In the case of divorced parents, only the parent holding custody of the children
- The police officers of the Department of Antiquity Smuggling of the Directorate of Security
- Tourist guides upon presentation of their professional ID card.
- University students and students at Technological Educational Institutes or equivalent schools from countries outside the EU by showing their student ID.
Please take time to read carefully our terms and conditions.
Private Tours are personal and flexible just for you and your party.
- local taxes
- Baggage charges
- Entrance Fees
- Personal expenses (drinks, meals etc.)
- Visa costs
- Sightseeing and services other than those mentioned in our itineraries. If in doubt whether something is included in the price of the tour, please inquire.
- Drivers must work under strict legal and time restrictions. There for you will be dropped back at convenient stops, depending on the traffic conditions. Our drivers will do their best to drop-offs at your hotel or as near as possible unless stated otherwise. Drivers will be happy to assist and advise you.
- The drivers are not a licensed to accompany you on your walk to the top of the Acropolis or inside any other site or museum. If you require a licensed guide to tour the sites with you, you need to hire one additionally.
- All the guides, on the various tours, lecture in English. A previous arrangement must be made to lecture in another language.
- A special offer is on for our guests to have a certified tour guide. They will show you on the site and /or museum and happily share their knowledge with you. The tour guides we cooperate with are authorized and have experience in the museums, archaeological, historical and religious sites of Greece. They are ready to meet your expectations, to answer your questions and to guide you thoroughly through Greece.
- Suitable clothing and athletic walking shoes are recommended for your comfort
- Hats, sunglasses and suntan lotion are highly recommended.
- Photography is permitted throughout the tour, excluding some museums.
- Clothing: When visiting Churches and Monasteries entrance will be allowed only to those with proper outfits i.e. Gentlemen (long trousers) and ladies (skirts, not short ones). These are places of worship and we pay them the respect they deserve.
- Firstly and most importantly. ALL CANCELLATIONS MUST BE CONFIRMED BY Olivesea.gr
- In respect to Day Tours cancellations. There is NO cancellation fee (deposit or full amount) WILL be refunded. That’s right you will be fully refunded 100% the amount you have paid whether it is a deposit or the full amount, just so long as you cancel your reservation at least 48 hours before your service date.
- Apart from the above cancellation limits, NO refunds will be made. If though, you fail to make your appointment for reasons that are out of your hands, that would be, in connection with the operation of your airline or cruise ship or strikes, extreme weather conditions or mechanical failure. You WILL be refunded 100% of the paid amount.
- Let it be noted that, if your cancellation date is over TWO (2) months away from your reservation date, It has been known for third-party providers such as credit card companies, PayPal, etc. to charge a levy fee usually somewhere between 2-4%.
- Olive sea.gr reserves the right to cancel your booking at any time, when reasons beyond our control arise, such as strikes, prevailing weather conditions, mechanical failures, etc. occur. In this unfortunate case, you shall be immediately notified via the email address you used when making your reservation and your payment WILL be refunded 100%.
- Please take the time to carefully go through the individual terms and conditions for your information and protection. It is your own responsibility to ensure that you have read and understood the various terms associated with your contract in advance to placing any bookings.